At BC Biomedical, protecting the privacy and security of personal information is essential and is fundamental to our values and to the way we do business.
BC Biomedical currently has privacy policies and practices in place that meet the requirements of all applicable laws, rules and regulations. Privacy legislation requires organizations to have such policies, practices and programs in place that demonstrate the strong, commonly accepted privacy standard that the public expects. These laws are generally based on the Canadian Standards Association's Code for the Protection of Personal Information (CAN/CSA-Q830-96). BC Biomedical incorporates these principles into our business practices:
- Accountability: We are all accountable to protect the privacy of the personal information in our care. BC Biomedical trains its employees to follow written privacy policies and operational procedures, and also performs ongoing reviews of our privacy practices.
- Identifying Purposes: BC Biomedical identifies the purposes for which it collects, uses and discloses personal information at or before the time it is collected from an individual.
- Consent: BC Biomedical obtains an individual's consent before we collect, use or disclose personal information. There are some situations where BC Biomedical uses implied consent (for example, when BC Biomedical provides services at the request of a healthcare practitioner).
- Limiting Collection: BC Biomedical collects only the personal information that we need in order to provide services and manage the business. This information is collected by fair and lawful means.
- Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention: BC Biomedical uses or discloses personal information only for identified purposes, or with the consent of the individual, or as permitted or required by law. BC Biomedical retains this information only as long as necessary to fulfill the identified purposes.
- Accuracy: BC Biomedical collects and maintains personal information that is as accurate, complete, and up-to-date as possible to be used for the identified purposes.
- Safeguards: BC Biomedical has appropriate physical, technical and procedural safeguards in place to protect personal information.
- Openness: BC Biomedical provides and maintains publicly accessible information about our privacy practices.
- Individual Access: Upon written request, BC Biomedical informs individuals of the existence, use, and disclosure of their personal information. When appropriate, BC Biomedical provides access to that information and allows the individual to question its accuracy and completeness.
- Challenging Compliance: Individuals may direct concerns regarding BC Biomedical' compliance with these principles to our Privacy Office. Reported concerns will be investigated and we will reply to each request.
BC Biomedical remains firmly committed to maintaining the privacy and confidentiality of the personal information in our care.
BC Biomedical Privacy and Security Officer
Privacy & Security Officer
100 International Blvd.Toronto, Ontario, M9W 6J6
Phone: 416-675-4530 x. 2873